Weakness, depression, ataxia, rear leg paralysis,
Depression and pulmonary edema
Moldy walnuts or dairy products (mycotoxin)
Poisons the nervous system
Tremors, seizures, death
Muscle damage and alteration in adrenal hormones
Weakness, collapse, death
Xylitol (sugar-free candy and gum)
Sudden drop in blood sugar. These signs can develop quite
rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion.
Results in depression, loss of coordination and
Onions, Onion powder (many processed foods such as baby
food, ketchup, soup, lunch meat and hot dogs), Garlic, & Related Root Vegetables
Onions contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide) which
destroys red blood cells in the cat, causing a form of anemia
called Heinz body anemia. Garlic contains a similar substance in
a lesser amount.
Tomatoes, Green (raw) Potatoes
These foods are members of the Solanaceae family of plants,
which includes the Deadly Nightshade, and contain a bitter,
poisonous alkaloid called Glycoalkaloid Solanine, which can
cause violent lower gastrointestinal symptoms. The Feline Future
web site offers a rare description of a cat which was close to
death from ingesting just one cherry tomato. However, there are
other experts who say itís fine to feed tomato to cats.
It's becoming more widely known that chocolate is very toxic
to both cats and dogs. Chocolate contains chemicals
called methylxanthine alkaloids (theobromine is the specific
offending substance). Janet Tobiassen Crosby, D.V.M. has an
excellent article on the symptoms, effects, and treatment of
chocolate toxicity. Certain types of chocolate contain higher
amounts of these chemicals than others. For instance, baking
chocolate contains the most and white chocolate contains the
Even small amounts of these toxic chemicals can cause
constriction of arteries, increased heart rate and stimulation
to the central nervous system, similar to that of an overdose of
caffeine. This can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness and
frequent urination. Larger amounts of chocolate can, of course,
mean greater toxicity. More dire symptoms include excitability,
heightened heartbeat, stiffness and seizures. One pound of
milk chocolate is a potentially lethal dose for a 16 pound dog.
In the event that your dog has gotten its paws on some
chocolate, you should take note of the type, estimate the amount
eaten and then phone your vet or emergency care facility.
Educate your children on the importance of keeping chocolate out
of your petís reach. If you are unaware that your dog ingested
chocolate, the consequences can be dire. If chocolate ingestion
is not found within four to six hours without appropriate
treatment, cardiac failure, seizures, coma and death can result.
Grapes and Raisins
These foods' toxicity has only recently been discovered, and
although the only studies have been with dogs, it is also
believed that these fruits may also affect cats adversely.
Nothing on this website has been evaluated by the FDA. This information
is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please
see a qualified healthcare practitioner for any disease or illness.